So the BBQ was nice. I'm beginning to see how this hostel operates, and I like it. I'll drop a specific post on that later. But to the point, a couple of people (all Aussies) went out, bought some beers, and put together some hamburger patties and charged 2.5 GBP for a hamburger, beer, piece of chocolate, and a raffle ticket for a cheap bottle of vodka. This is something they do every Sunday.
I hung out with the Aussies on the patio for awhile (btw, I was taught it's properly pronounced "Ozzy", like, you know, Mr. Osbourne). Again with people continuing the theme of flying all the way around the world and living here for an extended period.
To the right is Fran and Sarah, two Aussies just out of high school exploring the world before heading back for University. I wish more Americans would follow suit. I know this kind of experience would have changed my life in a big way 10 years ago.
After a couple hours on the patio, hanging out in the gorgeous weather, we went up to play pool. Speaking of which, it hasn't really rained since I got to Europe. I've been in the two more storied rainy countries in the world outside of the Amazon (yes, I know that's not a country), and it has only lightly rained maybe an hour. People here don't know what to make of it.
So, I pretty much hung out in the common room all night. I talked with a bunch of people staying here. Met a fellow American from Maryland, and another American who was originally born in the UK, but grew up in Boston. He's got an interesting accent. Traces of Boston, but the distinctive British pitch in his voice.
Since I didn't get anything done on Day 5, I extended my time here in Edinburgh a day. I love this city.
So it didn't take long for it to get out that I'm "a computer guy". It was rather good timing that I met a girl from Spain named Eva who had gotten her wireless screwed up by the last hostel she stayed at. Looks like they installed some propriatary hotspot wireless software that disabled the IBM service on her notebook. I told her I'd take a look at it. It was an interesting challenge for me, because I had to navigate Windows Vista in Spanish. It didn't take long to figure out what was wrong, and with Eva's assistance, was able to get it working again in short order. Apparently, even on the other side of the planet, you can't escape who you are... :-D
It was getting pretty late, but I ended up making several new friends from all over. Most were from France, a few from Spain, at least one from Italy, Quebec (with a thick French accent), and Australia. One of the guys, Bruno, is getting ready to head home after his long stay here in Edinburgh, so they wanted to throw him a party. They invited me along, and we ended up heading over to Espionage, a club not far from our Hostel. It was hot. You know me, I'm not exactly the club-going type, but I was quite amazed at how much exercise dancing can be. :) I worked up quite a sweat. But it was only a Jack and Coke to loosen me up, then water and a Red Bull for the rest of the night.
I also got a chance to talk with alot of people. This was my first real chance to speak with people who weren't the most fluent with English.
That was really exciting. When I first got over here, I thought I would speak very properly (unlike most American) so as to be easily understood. But interestingly, I've found myself talking even more coloquially than I do back home. I seem to be clinging to my "American-ness" even more since getting over here.
So when speaking with these new friends, being able to speak very patiently and properly has been a big help. Think the way Jim speaks, how very proper and well spoken he is. Anyway. Alot of them have come here because they want to learn English, because it will be much more helpful to them back home. I've already gotten many thanks on my helpfulness.
Sitting around talking everyone ran on late into the night. The club kicked us out at 3am (SHARP). Not suprisingly, most Europeans don't know where North Carolina is, but most know Florida. I even met one local guy who's getting ready to go to America. He's got a girlfriend in Macon, GA (yeah... I know what you're thinking, I'm thinking the same thing) and is going to be going for 2 weeks. I'm actually quite relieved tho. I think that's a MUCH better representation of most of America than NYC or LA would be. :)
Needless to say, my rest day ended up nothing being much of one.
No comments:
Post a Comment