So I've spent quite a few days here at Edinburgh. Unless I go on a tour of the Scottish Highlands, I'll probably be leaving tomorrow.
So this hostel is mostly run by travelers. I've mentioned that a lot of people come here to get a job and work for a year. In part to learn English, in part to travel and see the world before responsibility kicks in.
Well apparently many people end up working at the hostel. In return they get to stay for free, and make a little bit of money. Plus, it's work, so that means they have a job and can stay. So they can pretty much sustain themselves for as long as they are able to stay in the country.
The BBQ on Sunday was one such event. I assume there's some owner-type that oversees all of it, but many people here have been living at the hostel for many months.
It's a pretty neat deal. What's funny to me is that the cost to stay at this hostel is cheaper than my rent back in Clayton, with the added bonus of not having to pay utilities. It sounds like a neat deal, but there's no way I could do it. I really miss my bed. Sleeping in a dorm with 15 other guys really gets old.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You ever leaving Scotland for the mainland? I'm interested to see if you make it to Germany and Eastern Europe like you were planning. Don't forget the Chunnel!
Post a Comment