Saturday, September 27, 2008

Whoops: The Whisky Experience

I can't believe I forgot to mention this. Back in Edinburgh, I went to the Scottish Whisky Experience with Logan from Canada.

Logan, I think I mentioned, showed up at the hostel late when we were getting ready to prepare the meal for for Bruno. We hit it off pretty quickly. He's at the tale end of his European journey, and has visited almost all of the cities I plan on going to. He had alot of answers for me. He seemed to be the master of random trivia. Reminded me alot of this other Canadian I know... :-D We had a great deal in common, so it was really great to have someone of like mind on the whisky tour.

A little on the corny side at times, but it was a very fascinating little piece of history in Scotland. They went through the 4 regions in Scotland that produce whisky, as well as a sampling bar with over 300 different whiskys available to try. There's even a tie back home, because most of the barrels they use come from bourbon breweries back in the states. (woo!)

I'd say I have a much better appreciation for the drink now, and certainly some preferences. :)

After the tour, Logan and I got the regional sampler and took our time with each one. Logan's pretty knowledgeable about a great many things, and he geeked out when he found out my drink of choice was Crown and Coke, since that too, is his preference. Apparently it's not very popular in the tiny Canadian town in BC where he's from.

After the tour, we all went to a Jazz club where I had Erdinger, my new favorite beer. Nice set, but it seemed like the band was ready to finish. We were leaving just as they were starting their next set, and it sounded much better. Shame I missed it.

No comments: